Suwannee Valley Diesels and 4x4 Online Community
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Suwannee Valley Diesels and 4x4 Online Community

A North Central Florida Online Community for Diesels, 4x4's, off-roading, hauling, racing, and related events around North Central Florida

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
Gallery
Duramax water pump issues Empty
Latest topics
» for guest
Duramax water pump issues EmptySat Nov 16, 2013 7:58 pm by bluedieselram

» cat removal
Duramax water pump issues EmptySat Nov 16, 2013 7:54 pm by bluedieselram

» lift kit
Duramax water pump issues EmptyTue Jan 01, 2013 4:16 pm by bluedieselram

» Diesel Drags Gainsville March 24, 2012
Duramax water pump issues EmptyTue Mar 20, 2012 4:08 pm by BlueLightning7.3

» Engine Fan
Duramax water pump issues EmptyWed Feb 29, 2012 10:44 pm by thatboys3500

March 2024
SunMonTueWedThuFriSat
CalendarCalendar
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Site Sponsors
Sponsorship Info - Click Here!

Social bookmarking

Bookmark and share the address of Suwannee Valley Diesels and 4x4 Online Community on your social bookmarking website

Duramax water pump issues

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
Kodiak

Kodiak

PostSubject: Duramax water pump issues   Duramax water pump issues EmptyWed Feb 02, 2011 1:13 am

Just a short note to let everyone know that the water pumps on the Duramax seem to start failing at just over 100,000 mile mark. I have went through 2 of them so far, And I know of SEVERAL people who have had the same issue with their trucks as well.

It is a gear driven pump, mounted directly to the face of the block. And there is one bolt located behind the harmonic balancer...which has to be removed. "36mm 12 point socket" or 1-5/16 if ya don't have the metric one. It is a 12 point bolt though. The idler pulley must also be removed to access all the mounting bolts too. Since I have been down the water pump road a few times, I can give you some pointers if needed.

Dealer cost varies on the labor to replace...but, it is about $1200+ at all the ones I have contacted. It can be done yourself for $200 or so, if you are handy with a wrench.

The o-ring that goes between the pump and the block is also on the expensive side if you accidentally cut it like I did. $20 for that mistake!

Lisle makes a flywheel holding block that is worth its weight in gold for holding the motor stationary while trying to break loose that harmonic balancer bolt. I recommend 3/4 drive and a 4' breaker bar. It is torqued to around 260 ft lbs. You can also place the breaker bar on the driver's side frame and "bump" the starter to break it loose. The balancer will easily slid off the shaft...remember, it is heavy.

The hardest part of the whole install was the fan removal. If you have a spanner tool, or can rent on, it would be easy. I used a crow bar to hold pressure on the serpentine belt, at the idler pulley, and smacked a large crescent wrench with a 2Lb hammer to break the fan loose.

If you have any questions, feel free to ask.
Back to top Go down
dmaxtothemax

dmaxtothemax

PostSubject: Re: Duramax water pump issues   Duramax water pump issues EmptyWed Feb 02, 2011 10:38 am

good right up!..thanks... Luckly my water pump is still going strong at 144,500 miles... and injectors seem to still be doing good too... these two issues seem to be the biggest issues with the LB7...
Back to top Go down
http://www.svd4x4.com
Kodiak

Kodiak

PostSubject: Re: Duramax water pump issues   Duramax water pump issues EmptyWed Feb 02, 2011 10:46 am

And as long as you use some kind of fuel lube, cause todays fuel has so little lubricity, the injectors will be fine. I personally use Wal-mart 2 stroke in the blue jug. 1 ounce oil per gallon of diesel. Basically a quart for 32 gallons of diesel. The injectors will be quieter and the balance rates will definitely improve.
Back to top Go down
dmaxtothemax

dmaxtothemax

PostSubject: Re: Duramax water pump issues   Duramax water pump issues EmptyWed Feb 02, 2011 10:50 am

really? i've heard of this, but have been told to stay away from any additives in the fuel... To me, my valves are loud, but this is my first diesel engine other than a tractor... maybe i'll try this and see if the engine quiets down a little
Back to top Go down
Kodiak

Kodiak

PostSubject: Re: Duramax water pump issues   Duramax water pump issues EmptyWed Feb 02, 2011 10:53 am

It may surprise you how quiet it can make the motor. My truck loves that stuff.
Back to top Go down
dmaxtothemax

dmaxtothemax

PostSubject: Re: Duramax water pump issues   Duramax water pump issues EmptyWed Feb 02, 2011 10:59 am

I'm gonna try it... I have some Johnson/Evinrude two-cycle oil, but it cost more, so i'll get the cheap stuff...
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Duramax water pump issues   Duramax water pump issues Empty

Back to top Go down

Duramax water pump issues
Page 1 of 1