Suwannee Valley Diesels and 4x4 Online Community
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Suwannee Valley Diesels and 4x4 Online Community

A North Central Florida Online Community for Diesels, 4x4's, off-roading, hauling, racing, and related events around North Central Florida

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
Gallery
Questions on the  S&B Cold air Intake for a cummins Empty
Latest topics
» for guest
Questions on the  S&B Cold air Intake for a cummins EmptySat Nov 16, 2013 7:58 pm by bluedieselram

» cat removal
Questions on the  S&B Cold air Intake for a cummins EmptySat Nov 16, 2013 7:54 pm by bluedieselram

» lift kit
Questions on the  S&B Cold air Intake for a cummins EmptyTue Jan 01, 2013 4:16 pm by bluedieselram

» Diesel Drags Gainsville March 24, 2012
Questions on the  S&B Cold air Intake for a cummins EmptyTue Mar 20, 2012 4:08 pm by BlueLightning7.3

» Engine Fan
Questions on the  S&B Cold air Intake for a cummins EmptyWed Feb 29, 2012 10:44 pm by thatboys3500

May 2024
SunMonTueWedThuFriSat
CalendarCalendar
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Site Sponsors
Sponsorship Info - Click Here!

Social bookmarking

Bookmark and share the address of Suwannee Valley Diesels and 4x4 Online Community on your social bookmarking website

Questions on the S&B Cold air Intake for a cummins

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
bluestickcummins

bluestickcummins

PostSubject: Questions on the S&B Cold air Intake for a cummins   Questions on the  S&B Cold air Intake for a cummins EmptyThu Dec 16, 2010 5:31 pm

I was wondering if any one knows anything about the S&B filters/cold air

I was looking at it for my Cummins which is a 12 valve 1998, and from what i can tell it looks exactly like my stock airbox with a plexiglass top and an a K&N style filter. there is no under truck air scoop like those for the newer Cummins, the edge of the filter goes in the same stock hole in the fender like mine does.

pretty much i dont want to spend gobs of money on a pretty box that does the same thing mine does when i can buy a different filter to get better performance and milage

Well i'd be glad to have some feedback , what you think, what you may have heard, if there is some thing better i can do, THANKS!
Back to top Go down
dmaxtothemax

dmaxtothemax

PostSubject: Re: Questions on the S&B Cold air Intake for a cummins   Questions on the  S&B Cold air Intake for a cummins EmptyFri Dec 17, 2010 12:48 am

well, i've never heard of S&B... if it's basically what you have with plexi, go get you a piece of plexi... Really, the turbo just needs ready fresh air or it's just spinning with little effect on the intake pressure... I cut my box to make available however much air might be needed... not that it will always be using it, but it's there when it's needed... I also saw at the drag strip some guys make custom intakes with pvc pipes... like 4" pvc fittings and all... they even ran the pipe down into the fenders or took out the head light and forced air into the pipe... I would love to try a plexi build if you ever wanna try tho... let me know
Back to top Go down
http://www.svd4x4.com
thatboys3500

thatboys3500

PostSubject: Re: Questions on the S&B Cold air Intake for a cummins   Questions on the  S&B Cold air Intake for a cummins EmptyFri Dec 24, 2010 4:38 pm

I dont think there is much of a difference all i did was use the stock elbow from the turbo and put a filter on it and it works just fine. No way i would pay the $200 for that dang thing that dont do nothin. or get a semi intake filter. they work good, lol
Back to top Go down
R8

R8

PostSubject: Re: Questions on the S&B Cold air Intake for a cummins   Questions on the  S&B Cold air Intake for a cummins EmptyThu Mar 03, 2011 8:07 pm

The S&B is the same thing except it uses the plexiglass as a way of not letting the filter suck in heat from the engine, you can make one for a lot less. Or find yourself a high flow filter that fits and make a box for it and you'll probably be better off with more coin to spend on other mods
Back to top Go down
dmaxtothemax

dmaxtothemax

PostSubject: Re: Questions on the S&B Cold air Intake for a cummins   Questions on the  S&B Cold air Intake for a cummins EmptyFri Mar 04, 2011 12:53 am

agreed... if you can do it yourself, why not? I enjoy the challenge of making it look and perform like you bought it...
Back to top Go down
R8

R8

PostSubject: Re: Questions on the S&B Cold air Intake for a cummins   Questions on the  S&B Cold air Intake for a cummins EmptyFri Mar 04, 2011 1:35 am

Yep, just take your time, show off your skill not your abiity to hackjob things.
If you use plexi glass you can get your own design made out of vynl and slap it on there, that would look sick.

Personally here's how I would do it:
Take the filter/box whatevers in there out. And use cardboard cutouts as templates transfer them to plexi glass or aluminum and bond them epoxy, rivets,screws, bolts whatever. Make it your own and have a good time with it
Back to top Go down
bluedieselram

bluedieselram

PostSubject: Re: Questions on the S&B Cold air Intake for a cummins   Questions on the  S&B Cold air Intake for a cummins EmptyThu Mar 31, 2011 10:17 am

if ya want a good aftermarket intake go with afe.s&b is basically a stock intake with a see through lid,i get better respone with a k&n filter on my 95 then when i had a s&b intake on it
Back to top Go down
dmaxtothemax

dmaxtothemax

PostSubject: Re: Questions on the S&B Cold air Intake for a cummins   Questions on the  S&B Cold air Intake for a cummins EmptyThu Mar 31, 2011 3:59 pm

two thumbs up for AFE...
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Questions on the S&B Cold air Intake for a cummins   Questions on the  S&B Cold air Intake for a cummins Empty

Back to top Go down

Questions on the S&B Cold air Intake for a cummins
Page 1 of 1