Suwannee Valley Diesels and 4x4 Online Community
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Suwannee Valley Diesels and 4x4 Online Community

A North Central Florida Online Community for Diesels, 4x4's, off-roading, hauling, racing, and related events around North Central Florida

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
Gallery
Think my Water Pump has bit it... Empty
Latest topics
» for guest
Think my Water Pump has bit it... EmptySat Nov 16, 2013 7:58 pm by bluedieselram

» cat removal
Think my Water Pump has bit it... EmptySat Nov 16, 2013 7:54 pm by bluedieselram

» lift kit
Think my Water Pump has bit it... EmptyTue Jan 01, 2013 4:16 pm by bluedieselram

» Diesel Drags Gainsville March 24, 2012
Think my Water Pump has bit it... EmptyTue Mar 20, 2012 4:08 pm by BlueLightning7.3

» Engine Fan
Think my Water Pump has bit it... EmptyWed Feb 29, 2012 10:44 pm by thatboys3500

April 2024
SunMonTueWedThuFriSat
CalendarCalendar
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Site Sponsors
Sponsorship Info - Click Here!

Social bookmarking

Bookmark and share the address of Suwannee Valley Diesels and 4x4 Online Community on your social bookmarking website

Think my Water Pump has bit it...

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
dmaxtothemax

dmaxtothemax

PostSubject: Think my Water Pump has bit it...   Think my Water Pump has bit it... EmptySat Apr 09, 2011 7:11 am

I have the annoying squeeking from the front of my engine... thinking the water pump has completed it's life on my truck... Has anyone changed these out? willing to help me do it? or should I bring it somewhere?
Back to top Go down
http://www.svd4x4.com
44'snot24's

44'snot24's

PostSubject: Re: Think my Water Pump has bit it...   Think my Water Pump has bit it... EmptySat Apr 09, 2011 2:38 pm

ive done a few water pumps on different vehicles there not bad. dont know about the dmax but you should be able to do it.
Back to top Go down
dmaxtothemax

dmaxtothemax

PostSubject: Re: Think my Water Pump has bit it...   Think my Water Pump has bit it... EmptySat Apr 09, 2011 4:43 pm

ive done em on gasssers, but never a diesel... I would sure love to try it myself... prolly flush the coolant while i'm down there...
Back to top Go down
44'snot24's

44'snot24's

PostSubject: Re: Think my Water Pump has bit it...   Think my Water Pump has bit it... EmptySat Apr 09, 2011 5:42 pm

yeah might as well. i did a few gassers the other day one was like a 86 camaro god it was so bad just pure chocalate milk in the radiator it was terrible
Back to top Go down
Kodiak

Kodiak

PostSubject: Re: Think my Water Pump has bit it...   Think my Water Pump has bit it... EmptySat Apr 09, 2011 8:17 pm

Chevy charges about $1200 to do the water pump on the Duramax. I have done mine twice now. About 3 hours and you have to remove the harmonic balancer to get to one of the bolts. The harmonic balancer bolt is a 12 point 36mm....I have the socket if you need it. Lisle tools has a nifty flywheel holder that keeps the motor from rotating over while you try to break loose the bolt. Something like 275 ft lbs on that bastard.

The worst part for me, was the cooling fan removal. It would be easier if there was a way to keep it from spinning long enough to break it loose.

It is a gear driven pump...meaning that there is not a belt that drives this pump. It is nothing like any waterpump you have ever done before.
Back to top Go down
dmaxtothemax

dmaxtothemax

PostSubject: Re: Think my Water Pump has bit it...   Think my Water Pump has bit it... EmptySun Apr 10, 2011 12:31 pm

Ill check on it this week and find out for sure if its bad... no overheating issues and no mass loss of coolant yet... i have been keeping an eye on things tho...
Back to top Go down
dmaxtothemax

dmaxtothemax

PostSubject: Re: Think my Water Pump has bit it...   Think my Water Pump has bit it... EmptySun Apr 10, 2011 12:53 pm

I just looked at some pricing on those pumps... they vary from $80-$200... not sure the differences, but that's quite a gap... either way, Jerry, what kinda price tag is on yours at Advance?
Back to top Go down
Kodiak

Kodiak

PostSubject: Re: Think my Water Pump has bit it...   Think my Water Pump has bit it... EmptyTue Apr 12, 2011 6:11 pm

About the same as you posted. Get the best price you can from NAPA...and I will beat it! LOL Twisted Evil
Back to top Go down
dmaxtothemax

dmaxtothemax

PostSubject: Re: Think my Water Pump has bit it...   Think my Water Pump has bit it... EmptyWed Apr 13, 2011 12:17 am

good deal... I get a pretty good discount from NAPA - I'll see what they tell me
Back to top Go down
dmaxtothemax

dmaxtothemax

PostSubject: Re: Think my Water Pump has bit it...   Think my Water Pump has bit it... EmptyTue May 03, 2011 5:49 pm

water pump is def bad... spilling coolant everywhere i park... lol usually about a 10" wet spot on the concrete... guess i'm gonna tackle this saturday sometime... Anyone wanna help??? i'll buy you a drink or dinner or something for helping!
Back to top Go down
Kodiak

Kodiak

PostSubject: Re: Think my Water Pump has bit it...   Think my Water Pump has bit it... EmptyThu May 05, 2011 9:34 pm

I wish it could wait...my next days off are Wed and Thurs. Its not that bad. Just removing parts and bolting them back on. It does go much faster with 2 people. If ya can wait til my days off, I can lend a hand.
Back to top Go down
dmaxtothemax

dmaxtothemax

PostSubject: Re: Think my Water Pump has bit it...   Think my Water Pump has bit it... EmptyFri May 06, 2011 9:38 am

I will probably try to wait then... I have a bunch going on this weekend and I was gonna do a rush job and hope to get it done at some point... I'll hold off if possible - it's not leaking too bad, just gotta add about 2 quarts of coolant a week... I would sure feel more comfortable with someone helping...

btw, GM makes a tool that they show in the description for repairs that mounts in your starter bolt holes and has teeth that holds your engine from turning... it's a pretty cool and simple looking tool... You have to remove the starter to use it tho
Back to top Go down
Kodiak

Kodiak

PostSubject: Re: Think my Water Pump has bit it...   Think my Water Pump has bit it... EmptySun May 08, 2011 11:03 pm

Let me cal Val and see if I can borrow his flywheel holder. No need to remove starter, just the inspection hole on the bell housing.
Back to top Go down
dmaxtothemax

dmaxtothemax

PostSubject: Re: Think my Water Pump has bit it...   Think my Water Pump has bit it... EmptyMon May 09, 2011 7:17 am

That would be very cool man...
Back to top Go down
dmaxtothemax

dmaxtothemax

PostSubject: Re: Think my Water Pump has bit it...   Think my Water Pump has bit it... EmptyWed May 18, 2011 2:18 pm

Val is working on it as I type... The water pump and housing had to be relpaced... Drained to coolant and put the dexcool back in it... Since He had my truck hostage, i had him change out the 4wd control module - hopefully I will have 4wd again... *fingers crossed*
Back to top Go down
44'snot24's

44'snot24's

PostSubject: Re: Think my Water Pump has bit it...   Think my Water Pump has bit it... EmptyWed May 18, 2011 9:23 pm

good deal hope surgery goes as expected lol
Back to top Go down
dmaxtothemax

dmaxtothemax

PostSubject: Re: Think my Water Pump has bit it...   Think my Water Pump has bit it... EmptyThu May 19, 2011 3:21 pm

as with most surgery... He found some other things going on with it... .luckly they are minor and He's a good dude and will do half of them at no extra charge... The truck should be up and running good with no leaks, and no squeeks, and fully operational 4wd by this time next week... under $1000, thanks to Val...
Back to top Go down
44'snot24's

44'snot24's

PostSubject: Re: Think my Water Pump has bit it...   Think my Water Pump has bit it... EmptyThu May 19, 2011 7:06 pm

good deal cost me about 700 for wheels,tires,tie rod, and labor but i got to sell some rims i got with tires to make some money back so not bad and recharged ac system for 24 bucks from some r134 from walmart and ac is ice cold again good day for my truck. hoping soon for some 5% tint to black everything out no more people seeing in and heat coming in either
Back to top Go down
44'snot24's

44'snot24's

PostSubject: Re: Think my Water Pump has bit it...   Think my Water Pump has bit it... EmptyThu May 19, 2011 7:07 pm

probally going to get some pillar pod with gauges to just to monitor temps and all
Back to top Go down
dmaxtothemax

dmaxtothemax

PostSubject: Re: Think my Water Pump has bit it...   Think my Water Pump has bit it... EmptyThu May 19, 2011 8:45 pm

I have ice cold A/C and don't ever use it... Windows down all the time... lol
Back to top Go down
dmaxtothemax

dmaxtothemax

PostSubject: Re: Think my Water Pump has bit it...   Think my Water Pump has bit it... EmptyMon May 23, 2011 7:36 am

sooo, it appears there are some gear pitch issues with some water pumps for my truck... all of them have the same part number, but have a different pitch (according to Val - my mechanic)... Of course the first replacement one last week was that odd pitch, so I have some loud wine under the hood... So, the truck is back in the shop today, hoping to get this fixed for the second time...
Back to top Go down
44'snot24's

44'snot24's

PostSubject: Re: Think my Water Pump has bit it...   Think my Water Pump has bit it... EmptyMon May 23, 2011 11:02 pm

is it costing you anymore money though?
Back to top Go down
dmaxtothemax

dmaxtothemax

PostSubject: Re: Think my Water Pump has bit it...   Think my Water Pump has bit it... EmptyTue May 24, 2011 8:01 am

no, He fixed the water pump issue at no additional cost to me (and I got to help him do it at 9pm last night :-D )... He also found out that my 4wd problem was just the motor on the transfer case and not the control module saving me a couple hundred bucks on that fix ($180 instead of $350)...

Back to the water pump... It appears the water pump I was sold was probably a reman instead of new (not blaming Advance Auto Parts - blaming the manufactuer), there were some very very minor differences but obviously enough to make a difference because this new one works perfectly and makes no noise... I'll post some pics here in a few minutes...
Back to top Go down
dmaxtothemax

dmaxtothemax

PostSubject: Re: Think my Water Pump has bit it...   Think my Water Pump has bit it... EmptyTue May 24, 2011 8:32 am

Think my Water Pump has bit it... Img-2010

Think my Water Pump has bit it... Img-2011
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Think my Water Pump has bit it...   Think my Water Pump has bit it... Empty

Back to top Go down

Think my Water Pump has bit it...
Page 1 of 1